Tuesday, October 7, 2008

BACK PORCH HALLOWEEN DECORATIONS

Every year, like so many other people, I would run out to buy some potted Mums to decorate with for Halloween. This year I decided to use what I had and save myself a trip to the garden center. The tin pumpkins, are ones we purchased many years ago at Sam's Club. They quickly became a favorite of ours. Most years, I set them up inside our family room, where when lit at night, the lights shining thru the different shaped, cutouts in the pumpkins, left a magical array of shapes on the ceiling and walls. Since we put the roof over the back porch, the last two years I've put them out there. This year I attached the Rooster from our yard, flag to the new window grilles and used the potted Sweet Potato Vines and some Variegated Ivy that I enjoyed this year from the garden. I also dug out, from the back of a closet, part of a Witches Costume, that I wore a couple of times when dressing up for work and parties etc. I mounted the head on a wicker head form, that I had used in my shop and attached sunglasses on it behind the eye opening, giving the mask a 'sort of' Martian Look. ;) Since we very seldom get visitors to our back porch this time of year, I thought my husband and I would be the only ones to see our display. Well, seems I did this just in time, because I got a call last night from one of our granddaughters, saying that she, her two sister and their mother, along with another mother and her two daughters are coming down for an overnight visit. They heard that the temperatures are expected to be in the high 70's this weekend, and they wanted to spend some time at the beach and on the boardwalk. So it looks like we'll be having seven visitors to see our Halloween Decorations after all.

2 comments:

imjacobsmom said...

Sounds like your in for a fun weekend! Your Halloween display looks so cute. How creative! I wish that I would have spotted those pumpkins at our Sam's Club, they are so cute! ~ Robyn

Tootsie said...

I love this display! I want to do one soon, but fear my neighbors or the wind will take them away to parts unknown.
sorry I am not around much, but I have a lot to handle in life right now and have been so very busy. I will try to keep in touch. I did get your email, and have meant to be in touch, just have not had time.
luv you girl...you have been a good friend to me.